For the Sake of the One

This is a South Africa Story- something God was teaching me while I was there, through two young women that I had the privilege to meet.


Two stories of two young women and how they changed my perspective of obedience to the Holy Spirit


A South African sunset in one of the places we got to live and teach...BEAUTIFUL!

     Would you stop for the sake of 1? If only one persons life was changed forever, if one day was brightened and one heart cheered? If she would be encouraged by that prayer, and if in you she would see the love of God- a God who she thought no longer heard her...would you stop and pray? If there was only one person who would benefit from you sharing the pain of your heart- from seeing the real you and the real redemption that God brought in your life- if it brought freedom to one soul, and lightened the load of one heavy heart, would you share your story?
     I often ask myself this when promoted by the Holy Spirit, and I am in that in between moment of the given word and the act of obedience. Sometimes I have thought, "Does it really matter? What will it really change if I go talk to that person, or if I choose to keep about my business as usual without the 'inconvenience'?" God is changing my heart on this, but I am no pro.


Teaching Bible Overview in Zwelethemba
      One day I was preparing a teaching and chatting with a dear friend of mine. We were sharing stories about our lives and talking about all God had been doing lately. On the other side of the room there was a lovely young Dutch woman who was resting alone and recovering because we she was sick. I had passed this young woman a few times in the days prior, and greeted her etc. We were both new to the country and getting over the common cold/ flu and had promised (in passing) to pray for one another.
     After a while I got up to walk across the room and passed this young lady. I felt the Lord impressing it on my heart, "Cayla, you need to pray for her." 
I responded, "Okay, I'll pray for her...in my head- Lord, you and I." 
"No, you need to stop and sit and pray for her."
At that point, I stopped walking towards the door, turned around and stooped down (toothbrush in hand) to talk to this young woman.   
     

     What began with a prompting of the Holy Spirit (which I almost shrugged off) turned into nearly an hour long conversation and prayer time about life, God and His word, prayer, the relevance of scripture, relationships, dealing with pain from the past and having an active relationship with the God who: sees us, hears us, knows our hearts, and gave everything of Himself to love us. Her name was Meret- She was lovely, and God was in pursuit of her heart.
  

     Another morning I was preparing to preach. I knew exactly the message I was to share, and I was dreading it. It was something that God had laid heavily on my heart- something that He was freshly working inside of me: The importance of being real with God about the pain of your heart in order to receive His healing and restoration. I was nervous as ever and thinking about how easy it would be to just quickly come up with another nice sermon, or even avoid sharing parts of my own story. But God's impression on my heart was strong and I knew I could not ignore it.
   A few hours later when we got to the church, I got up and spoke. I began sharing about David, about who God had revealed Himself to be in scripture and how He had welcomed me into healing by showing me it was okay to share my heart with Him. Afterword, we had a time for people to come and receive prayer. A beautiful young woman approached me and began to share her story.
   She had been taken from her country and forced into prostitution. She said she had done terrible things, and felt it was time to let go and move on. God had forgiven her, and she wanted to now forgive herself. We chatted, and came together before our Heavenly Father. Two of His daughters before Him.
     As soon as the time was over I went quickly to the back of the room and sat down, stunned and fighting back tears. I don't think I have ever been so humbled in my life. The moment I heard her story I knew in my heart why God had laid it so heavily on my heart to share that message. If no one else in the room got a thing out of it, it would not have mattered because she was the one it was meant for. Her name was Veronica- She was lovely and God was in pursuit of her heart.


My dear friend Thelma and I in an Intercession time
     I don't understand why God uses me, but I know it's not because of anything I have done. God is in pursuit of people all over, old and young, men and women, youth, children and we never know when, who, where or why other than the fact that God is about redemption and restoration. I do know one thing, in our weakness, failure, fear and inability, God's glory is most clearly evidenced.

   "but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong."
~ 2 Cor 12:9-10



Comments

Popular Posts