Single


     This is a word to all my single sisters out there, and to my brothers as well. I know that singleness isn't always easy....okay, I admit it- sometimes it is really hard! With all the romantic comedies, romance novels, tabloids telling us about “the latest hot couple” and that kissing couple at the mall, it can be hard not to feel lonely when you are single.
     I've spent many hours of my single life wondering what it will be like to be married to that husband who is out there somewhere. I don't think it's wrong to look forward to the awesome futures God has for us, or to pray for your future spouse. In fact, I think praying for your future spouse is a great thing to do when you notice someone with really awesome qualities (tall, handsome, sweet, and a radical Jesus follower...appealing right?). A friend of mine once suggested to me that when I notice these things in guys that I know, or come across, that it would be a good idea to just send up a quick prayer thanking God for blessing this person with such a great quality and pray that your future someone will have some of these great qualities too. It is good to acknowledge your desires, release them to God, and then be able to move on.
     There is a time though, when daydreaming can become too much and we can become discouraged and overwhelm ourselves with melodramatic sadness and start to think- “Oh Lord...have you abandoned me?! Will I stay single forever?” When we focus too much on the things we do not have (such as a spouse or significant other) it can cloud our days with discontentment and we can miss the awesome life of singleness that could be ours.

      I have been prayerfully thinking about writing this for a little while now, because I know that this can be a heavy topic- it strikes people right at the heart. I know it's true because it is something that I struggled with for years and I am definitely no master now, but I am learning. I would like to share a little of what I have learned so far in hopes that you can benefit.
     To my single friends, I want you to hear my heart in writing this: it is not to cut you down in any way, or make you feel like you've been doing a bad job at being single so far. So many of you that I know have done singleness beautifully! I only want to encourage you- to let you know that you are not alone in this and that there is a way to do this really well and I hope we can learn to do it together (although I know that we will not do it perfectly). Let's not worry about perfection. Let's do our best, be there for each other, and fall on Jesus when it's lonely.

     One day I was on a walk to think, clear my head and be with Jesus. This subject of singleness came up (as it seems to every now and again) and I began to think and pray about it. I believe that my being single in this season is very purposeful. I bet yours is too. When I say this, I mean that God wants to do something specific with this season of my life that perhaps He could not as well do if I weren't the way that I am. He has not brought anyone into my life just yet and I think He knows what He is doing.
     With that being said, I want to embrace this season of singleness and live life with Him to full capacity! I want to see what He has to teach me, and learn it well. I want to live my days fully and contentedly, instead of wishing them away so I can get past this single season and onto other things.
   
     In 1st Corinthians chapter 7, Paul talks about singleness and marriage. Honestly, I used to hate this chapter, I really did. When I read it I wished that I could change things because in there is a verse that says, "The one who gets married does well, but the one who stays single does better." The reasoning behind the “Better” is that the one who is single is not worried about the “things of the world” in having to take care of the needs of their spouse or significant other. They can fully focus all of their life and energy on serving God. Paul has a point in here- let's not miss it, friends.
     I know that many of us who are single now will get married one day, and it may not even be too far in the future. Others of us will remain single. But for now, in this season let's embrace together this gift of singleness and the freedom that comes with it. There is a freedom to invest in the friendships that you have. There is a freedom to pursue God unhindered, and to serve Him undivided. We have time to invest, and lives ahead of us!

     I believe whole-heartedly that singleness does not have to be second best.

     So, what shall we do? I have some proposals to make. Here are some great things to do with your single years...fill them up, live them well and don't waste a moment! :
  1. Go on dates with Jesus. Seriously. I know that it may sound a bit silly, but it's awesome! Do things that you would do for a date, but do it with you and Him.
    -For example, I love going on walks. When I was dating, I really liked going on walks with my boyfriend. So, I go on a walk with Jesus...it is special and refreshing, like a date!
  2. Invest in friendships with great people! Spend time getting to know them and encourage them. You will never regret time spent with good friends.
  3. Serve! Serve in your local church, serve at your youth group, serve by helping with younger kids. Hey, you can even serve by blessing young couples and watching their kids. If you're not a kid person, there are plenty of other options like going to elderly homes, etc.
  4. Cultivate your prayer life. You need time to be able to do this, and when you have time, spend it sitting at Jesus feet. Prayer changes things. Become a single prayer warrior- it's great!
  5. Learn! Read good books, take time to study the bible (and I mean really study it...why not?), learn about cultures and countries, play an instrument, cook, learn to ski- anything! This is great because it will benefit you and give you fun stories to share.
  6. Travel, check out new places near and far. Explore your home city, take a road trip to famous places in your state. Go overseas on a missions trip. Traveling is fun and exciting, and you can meet wonderful new friends you may have never known if you'd stayed home!

     These are just some things that I have found can really make your life full and wonderful! I hope that you will find the same =) And if you have more suggestions, I'd love to hear them! (Please always feel free to leave comments- I love to hear your thoughts)
     In this journey of singleness, know that you are not alone. I am praying for you, and I hope that however long your years of singleness may be, that they are filled with wonderful adventures and falling in love with Jesus. You can do this. We can do this! 

Comments

Popular Posts