The Power of Encouragement

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." Mother Teresa

"Our God created by speaking, and if we are made in the image of this God- we also create when we speak...." -David Moffat 

"The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life" -Proverbs 10:13b

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat it's fruits." -Proverbs 18:21

Encourage: to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence: His coach encouraged him throughout the marathon race to keep on running.

In my own words: Wholeheartedly championing others to be the best they can be; calling forth courage by expressing belief in them and who God has made them to be.


Willie's gift

This summer I had the privilege to volunteer at a Kids Camp our church was hosting. What a joy! I came in with a mindset of, "I am here to love on these kids- to give them love and encouragement and to let them know they are valued and Jesus loves them." As often happens though, I ended up learning from those little 6 year olds. 

There was one particular little boy (I'll call him Willie) that stood out to me because of his voice which I heard over and over again throughout the week- always cheering others on. Willie had a light in his eyes and a joy about him. He seemed determined to make every other kid around him feel like a superstar, no matter how good or how bad they did at a game or challenge. No matter what, Willie was there calling out their name and cheering them on. If someone succeeded, Willie cheered, if they failed, he applauded their effort  and let them know he believed in them to do better next time. Always, Willie loved through words of affirmation and believing in his friends. 

I came away from that week so inspired and reminded of what an impact we are capable of making through simple words of encouragement! I want to be more like Willie- always there to call out the best in people and encourage them in who they are and who they can be, whether they seem to be succeeding, or failing. I so want my words to empower others to take courage and persevere. I want words of life to come from my lips, letting people know that they are loved and valued no matter what. I want them to know that there is someone there who will cheer them on towards all that God has for them to be. 

Encouragement serves to...

Encouragement is a powerful thing that can change the course of lives and the mood of hearts. Encouragement releases hope in a way that nothing else can. Mostly, I have seen that encouragement serves to: 
1. Empower: it reminds us, or lets us know that someone believes in us to do great things. This compels us to action and risks that we may not take on our own, but change us for the better. 
2. Inspire us to be the best we can be: there is something about knowing we are loved and supported that makes us want to become all that we can be.  
3. Bring joy: encouragement brings joy!
4. Cause one to know that they are loved/ worthy of love: sometimes it is easy to forget that we are loved by God and others and that He is for us. Whether someone is having a hard day, a hard week, facing discouragement from themselves or someone else, a word of encouragement and truth can go a long way! Sometimes people just need to be reminded that they are loved. 

Let us be the one

As I'm thinking about all of this, I am at this place again: how can I do this? I feel challenged, and I invite you to join me. It doesn't have to be huge, but it can start with you and with me! Commit to find one person today and speak worth and life- encourage them in some way whether it is through a card, a phone call, an e-mail or in person. 

Let us be the one who believes in others and champions them to be the best person that God has made them to be! Let us be givers of courage- ones who speak truth and bring joy in Jesus name.  

Comments

  1. Manostaxx
    TOP 10 STYLE FATHER’S DAY BUYS!
    https://producaoindustrialblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/05/10-fathers-day-buys/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts