Reflections on CSBS: the 9 month journey of a lifetime

   The Chronological School of Biblical Studies was an amazing experience! It was definitely one of the most amazing in my life. When they told us it was a 9 month journey of a lifetime, they were not kidding. This school was the hardest thing I have ever done, but also the most rewarding.
   Often times during the first months I would find myself standing in the hallway outside our classroom, pacing back and forth in front of the door while trying to talk myself into sitting at my desk and studying for just a few more hours. The one thing that got me through these moments was the assurance that God had called me to be there. Slowly (and after much prayer and convincing) I would open the door, take a deep breath, sit down and plunge back into the word. 

Some valuable things God taught me in CSBS:
   The first two things I learned were endurance- they say you can do anything with Christ, but it really is true. I never thought I could study and write so much in so short a time, but it was possible! Eventually, with a little pushing, God even significantly lengthened my attention span which allowed me to sit in one spot and study for hours at a time. I now know that with encouragement, the Holy Spirit, and determination, anything is possible. But, you do need The Lord, or else the impossible is not possible. This brings me to the next thing I learned-
Study Stress Relievers!
   Before you enter into anything you do, you must know that you have been called by God. If you do not know that you are where God wants you to be, you will probably give  up at some time or another when things get too challenging.
It is the call of God that kept me going countless times when I wanted to give up and quit the school, but I now know that wherever He calls you, He will provide whether that be financially, academically, or in bountiful supplies of courage.
   I also learned this important principal- spiritual growth is a two-fold thing that takes both the mercy of God, and the commitment/action of His child. First, it is so important for man to understand this concept of God's mercy. He really opened my eyes to this as I studied the Old Testament. I realized more than ever in my life that everything only exists because of the mercy of a God who continually and relentlessly pursued a people in order to love them, even when they messed up over and over again. Man is only able to love God or desire Him at all because of the mercy that God has chosen to extend. Therefore,
everything we do and have and are, down to our very existence (including our spiritual growth) is able to take place because God allows it in the first place.
Re-enacting wilderness wanderings
   The second and equally important principal that I learned however, is that though God allows man to have relationship with Himself, He does not force it upon man. He shows mercy, and leaves the response in man's court- we are then given a choice to ignore the mercy or respond to it. Our growth is a choice. We can choose to put forth the effort and take steps of action, or sit around and be stagnant, not growing in our faith, and not bearing fruit, the choice is ours. The simple fact is that knowledge about God does not come with a fruit bearing guarantee. A call does not come in a combo pack with obedience and results. God can call someone without them ever taking the steps of obedience,
and there will never be fruit. So, if we want to see growth and go on crazy adventures with God, we can in no way do it without Him, but at the same time, we won't go anywhere unless we choose to actually get up and start walking with Him.
Amanda and I at graduation!
   Another extremely valuable thing I learned is that we need people! We cannot do this life alone, and we were not meant to, instead we were wired for relationship. Walking with God is exciting, but it is not easy and we need others to walk it out with us. I am so privileged to have walked this season out with 19 other people who mean the world to me, and who I love dearly. I couldn't have made it without each one of them who each attributed their unique gifts and encouragement to push me towards Christ.
A trip to the Griffith Observatory
  The last and perhaps most valuable thing that I learned is that God best uses real people. He does not expect us to live fake lives for Him, ourselves, or anyone else in order to meet an unrealistic standard of perfection. Through the life of David, the ideal man after God, and later from Jesus I
learned that more than a perfect happy Christian, God desires those who come to Him with their real hearts. Sometimes faith looks like coming to God with hard questions and messy pain that has no answer. God does not see this as mistrust, or lack of faith in Him, but he loves the real people best even when they can't seem to put a smile on the pain. Praising God and learning to trust Him through pain is very different than putting a smile on and shoving down what is really going on. God believes in being content in all things yes, and trust through suffering, but I don't believe He believes in the "fake it till you make it" stuff. God already knows and He wants to walk with us through things and have us express our true hearts to Him, not shove our hearts down our throats and smile it away.

Our trip to serve some friends at a fishing village up in the mountains

   God is so good. He definitely fulfilled His word to me that He would use this season to build a foundation of truth in my life. I have discovered His character in an amazing way, and I can't wait to share His truths with others!

Late night teaching preparation



Our class at graduation!














May you be blessed today as you seek Him!
Much love!
~Cayla Adara









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts