What does it mean to be "Hidden"?


Hidden?
   Here is a bit of what God has been showing me about what it means to be hidden in Christ. The book of Zephaniah is a prophetic book that is written to the people of Judah, warning about the punishment that God will bring if they don't turn back to Him. Through this waringing of punishment, God is pleading with His people and extending His hand to show them a way out...He doesn't want to bring them through pain, but extends an invitation for them to come and hide in Him to escape the wrath. These are just some things that God was speaking to me as I studied this small, but powerful book...I hope you enjoy and have a lovely day! 

Who I've seen God to be in Zephaniah...
   Oh God, you are so humble and totally completely loving to extend your hands time and time again to those who only promise to continually break your heart. You come to those who are so corrupt and you speak of your great holiness, and how your love and righteousness don't change. You stand in the midst of total depravity in order to hold out for those who might come, but at the same time you are not weak. Your love is too much for me! It doesn't make any sense and it overwhelms to read again and again about the nation of Judah who you continually pursued and pursued again and again though they refused to trust.
   Though your people were sinful and you were righteous, still you pleaded for them to just see you! You just wanted them to look upon your face and hear your voice and respond to the love you were longing to lavish upon them. You are so humble to lower yourself to pursue man who is so unworthy of your love. It is ridiculous.
   Oh Lord, how I long to respond differently than Judah and come running after you and seeking you with everything in me, for you are so worthy. You are so worthy, Lord. I cannot believe that you would beg for the vile ones to come towards you, though you are holy. I can't believe that you would want to purify the vile, making your own self dirty, extending your hand again and again and again to be the shelter for those who were once repulsive to you because of your holiness.
How I love you Lord....You are worthy of all of my life.

My Response...
I can't believe that this merciful, amazing and holy God is the one who has called me to himself! That is pretty much amazing! He is the one who offers me safe shelter in Him. He wants me to trust and abide when troubles come to my life.
   I want to respond differently than so many of the people of Judah chose to respond. How does it look to respond to this God of greatness once He reveals His incredibly indescribable character? What does this look like- this choosing to run to God for shelter in trouble?
   In Zephaniah, God is pleading for them to come back because they had run to another nation who could not save them. When that nation let them down, they ran to all other gods and nations to cover themselves, looking for a safety, fulfillment and protection that only Yahweh could give them.
What did this people end up with? The deep grief and disappointment of Yahweh because of their refusal to run to Him, even when all else was failing.
   Tip number 1 in what not to do when you're trying to be hidden in Christ: run to all other surrounding nations and gods when one fails to meet the need. Or, in today's language: Stop trying to run only to people to find comfort in your troubles. People alone can't fix the problem.
   Okay God, so... I think I have an idea of what it looks like not to hide in you. You have shown me that running to people, no matter how great they might seem does not fix my problems. I know you use people in our lives, and that relationship is important, but I also know that it needs to be balanced with a trust in you, and a reliance on who you are and what you are doing. I know that when I have relied upon only people, I get all shaken up because people shake in storms.
   Throughout the book of Zephaniah, you are looking for a people who will seek you and a people who will wait for you. You want a people who is righteous. When I think of this, my mind immediately jumps back to the prophet Habakkuk. He trusted and He waited on you to bring your deliverance, and he still sought you to be his salvation even in the midst of challenging situations. The result of his seeking you and relying on you instead of people, was that when the hardest time finally came upon Him, He was able to praise you.
   What does this look like for me then, to be one who hides myself in you? One one end, I know it is not running to people alone. And, when I come out on the other side, I know it will look like worship no matter what they circumstances because of trust in your good character, so what is the practical walking out of getting myself hidden? What is the middle step?

   Seek. That is what God asks. For us to be hidden in Him, He is desperately desiring that we would be seekers. Seek. The Hebrew word is baw-kash' : to search out (by any method; specifically in worship or prayer); by implication to strive after: - ask, beg, beseech, desire, enquire, get, make inquisition, procure, (make) request, require, seek (for).
   It is in the seeking that the foundation is laid. It is through the times spent in intimacy with God, getting to know His heart that make it possible to worship even when He gives hard answers. It is because when you are in the midst of the presence of God, and in a place of humbly seeking Him that He makes His heart known. He reveals His love and character that are good. He takes the hands of the faithless and raises up the heads of the downcast by showing them His goodness. Knowing and relying on this love that is true, even when we can't see will get you through any storm. It is in the seeking seasons when God cements truth into souls.
   I think this Hebrew word of seeking translates pretty well. There are the two aspects right there. 1. There is the attitude that goes with the seeking- this eager relentless desire to know. 2. All of it is topped of by the one you are seeking. I can have all the passion, but without directing it to the right person or things, it will be just as bad as if I were passionless.
   I need to seek God actively- longing for Him. Spending time intentionally away with Him, talking and interceding. Worship is also a key factor. God wants worshipers. And God, how can I help but respond in a worshipful love? When you call me to intimate times of intentional worship, I want to come. I want to seek you, and seek the things you love: righteousness and humility.
   Lord, I give you my day to day moments. Will you continue to stir within me a deeper desire to be one who seeks? Place in my heart a deeper love for your presence. Thank you that you give me all that I need to seek you, and you give me so much grace when everything within me is not enough. Hide me in you...

Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, who do his commands; seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the Lord's wrath.”
~Zephaniah 2:3

Comments

  1. Cayla, this is beautiful. I love your heart that seeks to know God and be all that He intends you to be. May you always have that desiring, humble heart, ready to hear and listen and do. Love, Grandma Bertelsen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts