A Word on Peace

Peace: εἰρήνη
eirēnē
i-rah'-nay
Probably from a primary verb εἴρω eirō (to join); peace (literally or figuratively); by implication prosperity: - one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again.




     This word has been settling in my soul for a while now. Peace- just the very word brings a calmness that my soul is hungry to experience. And, in this season in between- I want my soul to be marked with peace.

     Why do we long for peace? I think it is because it is how we are meant to live and exist- by very definition is it being "set at one again." At one- the way were created.

   I started pondering on what it would look like to practically walk out this peace in the midst of my every day life. How can I be "set at one again," when time and demands want to pull me in a million directions and leave me frazzled, impatient and thin? How do we as mankind, have peace? 

   I think the only way to have this peace is to constantly abide in the one who is peace. This is what God has been challenging me in lately- the practice of blocking out time for Him to work His peace into my heart. When He is in us- peace dwells in us, and we in Him- He cannot help but take over. And when peace takes over, there is no room for the fear that wears us thin. 

   There was a man named Gideon who met the angel of God face to face and was scared silly at the realization of it. When God saw Gideon's fears He told him not to fear, but instead to have peace. At that moment, God reassured Gideon and replaced his fears with peace. Gideon's response was to make a monument so that all who passed would know that "The Lord is peace." God is the one who takes hold of man's fear and invades with His peace- which is greater. 

   When the children of God are in some of their darkest and most fearful days, the prophet Isaiah foretells one who will bring them peace. "For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. His authority shall grow continually and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and his kingdom. He will establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness from this time onward and forevermore." -Isaiah 9:6-7

   When God came to earth in the flesh, He came to establish peace in the midst of chaos. This kingdom of peace will continue to grow until all darkness and fear is gone forever and all that is left is peace. This is what Jesus promises.

   Peace is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. The more we allow Him to have His way through us and our lives, the more we will embody peace.  The more I engage with the one who is peace, the more my days will be filled with Him and the peace that He gives. The more I take any fears and worries to Him, the more He will take them and renew my heart with peace that is deeper than my explanation. "Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:6-7

   "And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body..."
-Colossians 3:15a

   As we head into this holiday day season, I pray that you will encounter the one who entered our chaotic world in order to establish peace, and replace our fears with rest in light of His beautiful presence. May His peace continue to rule ever more in your heart.
Blessings in Him!

Cayla Adara 

Comments

Popular Posts